Images From Around this Blog!

Featured Post

Available for Commissions!

The artist is IN! I am currently available for commission work of just about any variety (artistically speaking).  Pencil drawings, ink, di...

18 October 2007

For Barrett's Private Ears!

I've just finished the last page in my Bruno the Bandit story, "Bluenose Barrett, Privateer", and it feels good to be done. Not that I didn't enjoy the process, but this seemed to be the project that did not want to be born, as I ran into more problems, technical and otherwise, finishing this story, than any other project I've worked on to date.
Still, it's done and if you've been following, I hope you've enjoyed it. Below are some of the original sketches I did while planning the story; just preliminary roughs to lay done some of the character designs.
First there's Bruno himself...this apocryphal story takes place a lot earlier in his bandit career, so I knew I wanted him looking younger than he's normally drawn, but with features still recognizable compared to the way Ian McDonald draws them...


Next, there's Fiona, Bruno's sidekick. In continuity terms, she shouldn't have been in this story, but I figured if Ian can put her in Brunotots, then I could find a way to squeeze her into my tale...
Oddly, I find her harder to draw than Bruno. I can't quite wrap my head around the way Ian draws her back legs.


Next there's the pirates themselves. A lot of the visuals of the story depended on drawing Barrett's pirates in various activities. While a lot of figures appeard in the story, here's a couple that didn't get in...





And finally, there's Barrett himself. I was looking for the typical pirate look, but just about as mean as the day is long. In the story, he has a wooden leg, a glass eye and a hook for a hand, and if that doesn't make a man ornery, I don't know what would. I think a number of characters in my memory found there way into this one, including the pirate from "Blackbeard's Ghost" and maybe a bit of Hagrid...


And that's a wrap on that story. I'll be hip deep in my next project for a while, but I'm sure I'll be able to dig something fun out of my files to share. Keep an eye out to see what I come up with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just to say that you did a good job with the story Good Sir :). Quite enjoyable! With many a pretty picture abound (even a Wally :-o).
On the plus side, the world hasn't ended (as far as I know) too!!!

Look forward to seeing what other neat things you can pull up :).